Saturday, December 16, 2006

Lazy Saturday

It has been a lazy, lazy, lazy Saturday for me. I spent a good part of last night curled up in bed with my book. It's called "Keeping Faith" and it's by Jodi Picoult. It is a really good book. I had to tear myself from it at about 1.30am. In the dead of the night, my mind just kept going on and on, thinking about the story.

The story is about a little child who speaks to God. The thing is that not everyone thinks she's really seeing God. Or rather the God they know. It's really good. I'm about three-quarters through the book so I'm planning to finish it tonight. I don't like finishing a good book though for I then suffer from withdrawal pangs. I read another of her books a couple of months ago and I remember thinking that the story would just continue in some other book. Or rather, I wished it would have. That book, by the way, is "My Sister's Keeper". I won't spoil your fun and tell you what it's about.

Nevertheless, it's really nice to be lost in a good book. My sister had been telling me so much about these books (she's got the entire series) and when she voluntarily allowed me to borrow them (without my having to beg) I thought I had struck gold. Actually I did. This lady Picoult is able to create characters who are so realistic. That's nice. It's almost as though she's writing about your next-door neighbour.

There was another book I had read a few months ago that was thoroughly enjoyable. It's by the woman who wrote "Mistress of Spices". This one was about two cousins who grow up in Calcutta. It's quite funny and sad at times. I read it over the weekend and when I was done with it, I felt like I had just had a conversation with my best friend.

Talking about my best friend, she reads more than I do. She's real smart and has gone back to uni for a second degree. And the best thing is that her present studies require her to read so many many many books every single week. How lucky is she????

I am going to stalk the Kitchen Goddess now and get some butter cookies. I absolutely love butter cookies. Yes, I know they're terribly sinful to have at night, but I'm human!

Okay, talk to you later!

No comments: